Fort Richardson was established in November 1867. Expeditions sent from Fort Richardson arrested Indians responsible for the Warren Wagon Train Massacre in 1871 and found Comanches in Palo Duro Canyon. The Fort was abandoned in May 1878. Today, Fort Richardson State Park/Historical Site contains approximately 454.16 acres.
There are screened shelters, campsites with water & electricity, limited number of campsites with water, electricity & sewer hook-ups, hike-in primitive sites, picnic sites, a lighted group picnic pavilion, restrooms with and without showers, volleyball court, horseshoe pits, and a dump station.
Prickly Pear Trail provides hiking on the open prairie land for 1.7 miles and a nature walk which follows Lost Creek for 1 mile. Fishing is allowed in the Quarry Lake located by the Park Headquarters.